Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

This is a yummy side to have with lunch or dinner, and it is also a fantastic toddler recipe. Who doesn’t love mac ‘n cheese? Made with fresh ingredients, you can bet this homemade version is a lot healthier for you than Kraft or other boxed, frozen or pre-made macaroni and cheese. And, it’s really easy to make!

You will need:

• 1 pound Macaroni Noodles (I like to use elbows or shells)
  • 8 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 3/4 stick Butter
  • 1/3 cup Milk
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper

Instructions:

In a large pot, boil water, add Salt, and cook Macaroni Noodles according to package directions, adding 1 minute to cooking time so they are softer. Drain and leave in colander. In the large pot, melt Butter and then add the Milk, stirring briskly. Add Cheddar Cheese and Pepper, and heat on Medium, stirring often, until cheese is thoroughly melted. Add Macaroni to pot and stir until it is mixed well with cheese sauce. Serve.

Additional notes:

This recipe makes a LOT of mac ‘n cheese. We usually have it with dinner, then lunch the next day, and the rest is frozen for Baby M to enjoy at later meals. I like to freeze it in these Fresh Baby Food Freezer Trays, which are basically ice cube trays with lids. Once the cubes are frozen, I transfer them to Ziplock Freezer Bags. This way the macaroni and cheese is frozen in small one-ounce portions which are super easy to take out and pop into the microwave. Baby M will eat 3-4 cubes at a time, along with some veggies. I love having such an easy go-to toddler meal.

You can purchase the Fresh Baby trays here on Amazon, which is where I got mine. They’re only about $5 each which is very reasonable considering how much use I’ve gotten out of them. I have about 8 of them and LOVE them. Before Baby M could handle solids, I used them all the time to freeze Baby M’s pureed foods, and as you can see I’m still using them now to freeze his toddler food. Well worth purchasing these if you have a little one.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

I have never known how to make mac n cheese with cheddar and always had to use velveeta. I love the food tray idea. I just wondered the other day what the heck I could use those for. Those would be good for days I don’t agree with the daycare menu…like vienna sausage day.

2. Lauren McMasters says

I like the idea of the baby freezer trays…never tried that with our first maybe our second when he starts eating solids :)

3. Beth says

We make all of our own baby food and freeze as well, but why did I never think of freezing our homemade mac n cheese? That seems so easy but I never thought of it before. Thanks for sharing your recipe too!!

4. Samantha Herrmann says

Mine is almost like this…however, I make a rue of milk and flour after noodles are done. Then I melt the cheese in with it. I think it works better and I don’t have to worry about it burning!

5. Jodie Buckingham says

Great recipe! My son loves mac n cheese, but I hate that its boxed! Now I know what is going into his mac n cheese by making it myself with your recipe! Thanks!

6. Yoko says

We love mac and cheese at our house, and look forward to trying out this recipe! I love the tip about freezing – I never would have thought about freezing mac and cheese – great idea!

7. NeKisha Rowe says

I like that tray for creating portions to freeze. Thanks for the recipe. I might have to make this for my hungry crew this afternoon!

8. Michelle says

My girls all love Mac and Cheese, and I am always looking for the perfect recipe. I will have to give this one a try. And the ice cube trays are genius! I will have to give it a try with the ice cube trays for my littlest one and possibly some larger portions for my older two. That would make lunches so much easier. Just pop out, heat, and eat. Thank you.

9. Janae says

Homemade Mac’n ‘Cheese is the best! I love my Fresh Baby trays. I use them for breastmilk right now & am about to order more. It’s great to have the milk in small portions so that we can use what we need & waste less! The trays really only hold 1/2 oz per cube, not 1 oz like advertised, FYI. NBD, though.

10. amber says

what a quick and easy recipe! I need to get me some ice cube trays with lids — I love freezing the baby’s food in ice-cube trays but never thought of getting some with lids

11. Cherie says

I love fixing homemade mac and cheese for dinner! And this recipe is exactly how I make mine! It’s a staple in my house!